Cream of mushroom soup is a classic comfort food that has been enjoyed for generations. It's a simple yet delicious dish that is made by cooking mushrooms in a rich and flavorful broth.
But for those following the ketogenic diet, the question arises: is cream of mushroom soup keto friendly? The answer is a bit more complicated than a simple yes or no.
Most store-bought cream of mushroom soups contain high amounts of added sugars and preservatives, making them not suitable for a keto diet.
However, if you make the soup at home, you have more control over the ingredients and can make it keto-friendly by using keto-approved ingredients.
Let's dig deeper and learn more about is cream of mushroom soup keto.
- Cream Of Mushroom Soup And Keto Diet
- The Nutritional Breakdown of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Is Cream of Mushroom Soup Keto?
- Keto-Friendly Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Variations of Cream of Mushroom Soup to Add to your Keto Meal Plan
- How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup Ahead Of Time For Meal Prep?
- How To Incorporate Cream Of Mushroom Soup Into Your Keto Meal Plan?
- Wrapping Up
- Frequently Asked Questions
Cream Of Mushroom Soup And Keto Diet
The ketogenic diet, aka “keto” diet, is a high-fat, low-carb diet designed to induce the state of ketosis (the process of burning fat for energy instead of carbs). The keto diet limits carbohydrate intake and increases fat intake to promote weight loss and improve overall health.
One of the key components of the keto diet is to limit carbohydrate intake to less than 50 grams per day. This means that foods high in carbs, such as bread, pasta, and rice, are off-limits.
But what about the cream of mushroom soup? Cream of mushroom soup is a popular soup often used as a base in many recipes. It is typically made with mushrooms, cream, and a variety of seasonings.
Mushrooms, the main ingredient in a cream of mushroom soup, are a great source of nutrition and are naturally low in carbohydrates. They are also a good source of fiber, which can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied. One cup of sliced mushrooms contains just 2 grams of carbohydrates, making them a great addition to any keto-friendly meal.
However, it's important to pay attention to the ingredients and preparation method when it comes to cream of mushroom soup.
Many store-bought mushroom soups contain added sugars, thickeners, and other ingredients that are not keto-friendly. Additionally, some recipes for homemade mushroom soup may call for flour or other high-carb ingredients to thicken the broth.
So, is cream of mushroom soup keto or not? Continue reading to find out.
The Nutritional Breakdown of Cream of Mushroom Soup
To determine whether mushroom soup is keto-friendly, it is important to look at the nutritional information of the soup.
Here is a nutritional breakdown of cream of mushroom soup:
Calories: 100-120 per 1 cup serving
- Fat: 8-10 grams per serving
- Protein: 2-3 grams per serving
- Carbohydrates: 6-8 grams per serving
- Fiber: 1 gram per serving
- Sugar: 2-3 grams per serving
- Sodium: 500-600 milligrams per serving
It's important to note that the nutritional content of cream of mushroom soup can vary depending on the brand and recipe used. Additionally, the nutritional values provided are based on the canned version of the soup, and homemade versions may vary.
Most store-bought mushroom soups contain a significant amount of carbohydrates, making them unsuitable for the keto diet. A cup of cream of mushroom soup typically contains around 15 grams of carbohydrates, which is a significant portion of the daily carbohydrate limit for someone following the keto diet.
However, it is possible to make a cream of mushroom soup that is keto-friendly by using low-carbohydrate ingredients. For example, using a low-carbohydrate thickener can reduce the carbohydrate content of the soup. Additionally, using heavy cream or coconut milk instead of regular milk can also help reduce the soup's carbohydrate content.
Is Cream of Mushroom Soup Keto?
Many people on the ketogenic diet wonder if it's viable for their meal plans. The short answer is that it depends on the brand and recipe of the soup.
A keto-friendly cream of mushroom soup recipe would include ingredients such as mushrooms, heavy cream, butter, and a low-carb thickener such as xanthan gum. It is important to use low-carb vegetables, such as broccoli or cauliflower, to add volume to the soup without adding too many carbs.
One serving of homemade cream of mushroom soup can contain around 5-6 grams of carbs, depending on the recipe and serving size. This is relatively low in carbs, making it a suitable option for those on the ketogenic diet.
However, it is important to note that the cream of mushroom soup should not be consumed in large quantities as it is high in fat and calories. It should be consumed in moderation as part of a well-rounded ketogenic meal plan.
Keto-Friendly Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
To make a keto-friendly cream of mushroom soup, it's best to use fresh mushrooms and make the broth from scratch. This will ensure that there are no added sugars or thickeners in the soup. Additionally, you can use coconut milk or heavy cream to thicken the broth instead of flour.
Pro Tip: Cream of mushroom soup is high in fat and sodium, making it a less nutritious option if consumed in large quantities. However, it can be enjoyed in moderation as a flavorful addition to meals.
To make it healthier, you can opt for fresh cream and ghee and reduce the amount of salt used in the recipe. Additionally, you can add more vegetables, such as carrots, celery, and onions, to increase the fiber content.
Here is a simple recipe for keto-friendly mushroom soup:
1 pound of fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups of chicken or beef broth
1 cup of coconut milk or heavy cream
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook until they are tender and have released their liquid.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the coconut milk or heavy cream and allow the soup to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley or chopped green onions if desired.
This keto-friendly mushroom soup recipe is a great way to enjoy the comforting flavors of mushroom soup while still sticking to the ketogenic diet. It's also a great way to get a serving of vegetables and healthy fats into your diet.
Variations of Cream of Mushroom Soup to Add to your Keto Meal Plan
Here are some super tasty cream of mushroom soup variations to add to your keto diet:
- Creamy Garlic Mushroom Soup: Who doesn't love garlic? Add minced garlic and thyme to the mushroom soup for a flavorful twist. To make it better, you can also add roasted garlic.
- Mushroom and Leek Soup: Leeks are super healthy and low carb. Add chopped leeks to the mushroom soup for a sweet, onion-like flavor.
- Mushroom and Bacon Soup: Bacon is typically a no-go on a keto diet. However, a few chopped pieces won't kick you out of ketosis. Add chopped bacon to the mushroom soup for a smoky, salty flavor.
- Mushroom and Spinach Soup: Spinach enhances the flavor of any dish. Add chopped spinach to the mushroom soup for a boost of nutrients and a pop of color.
- Mushroom and Cauliflower Soup: Cauliflower is one of the best vegetables to eat on a keto diet. Add chopped cauliflower to the mushroom soup for a creamy, low-carb alternative.
- Mushroom and Parmesan Soup: Parmesan cheese is keto-friendly and full of flavor. Add grated Parmesan cheese to the mushroom soup for a cheesy, comforting flavor.
- Mushroom and Coconut Milk Soup: Coconut milk is another great option for keto followers. Add coconut milk to the mushroom soup for a creamy, coconut-flavored twist.
- Mushroom and Truffle Oil Soup: This one's for those who can afford it. Truffle oil adds a luxurious flavor to any food. Add truffle oil to the mushroom soup for a rich, earthy flavor.
- Mushroom and Shallot Soup: Shallots are also low carb and great to add thickness to a soup. Add chopped shallots to the mushroom soup for a sweeter, milder flavor than onions.
- Mushroom and Herbed Cream Soup: Herbs offer a range of health benefits. Add chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, parsley, and coriander to the mushroom soup for a flavorful, creamy twist.
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup Ahead Of Time For Meal Prep?
Meal prepping has become increasingly popular in recent years for various reasons. One of the main reasons is that it can save time and make it easier to eat healthy, home-cooked meals throughout the week.
By prepping meals in advance, individuals can avoid the last-minute rush of deciding what to make for dinner or relying on fast food or takeout.
Meal prepping lets keto followers control their portion sizes and ingredients and helps them stick to their daily macros. This allows them to maintain a healthy ketogenic lifestyle and avoid temptations.
So, if you have been craving cream of mushroom soup, preparing your own batch of mushroom soup at home is best. With a little creativity, it's easy to make delicious and satisfying keto-friendly cream of mushroom soup that will leave you feeling full and satisfied.
Pay attention to the ingredients and preparation method to make a keto-friendly cream of mushroom soup. Make sure you use fresh mushrooms and cream without added sugars or artificial thickeners like corn starch.
A keto-friendly recipe for cream of mushroom soup could include butter, onions, garlic, mushrooms, chicken broth, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, ghee, and seasonings such as thyme and black pepper.
How To Incorporate Cream Of Mushroom Soup Into Your Keto Meal Plan?
Cream of mushroom soup can be a delicious and convenient addition to a keto meal plan as long as you choose a low-carb option.
Here are a few ways to add cream of mushroom soup to your keto diet:
- As A Meal: One way to incorporate cream of mushroom soup into your keto meal plan is to have it as a full meal, either at lunch or dinner. Make sure it's a keto-friendly cream of mushroom soup.
- As A Base: You can also use cream of mushroom soup as a base for a keto-friendly casserole. For example, you can mix the soup with some cooked chicken, broccoli, and cheese and then bake it until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- As A Condiment: Another option is to use cream of mushroom soup as a sauce for keto-friendly meats such as pork or beef. You can also use it as a base for a keto-friendly gravy or to add flavor to a keto-friendly vegetable dish.
Note: It's important to check the nutritional information and ingredient list of the cream of mushroom soup you're purchasing to ensure that it fits within your daily carb and nutritional allowance.
In conclusion, cream of mushroom soup can be keto-friendly, but it is important to pay attention to the ingredients and portion size. So, Is cream of mushroom soup keto friendly? Yes, if it is made with keto-friendly ingredients and does not disturb your daily macros.
Keep in mind that store-bought mushroom soups often contain a significant amount of carbohydrates, and it's better to make your own soup at home, where you can control the ingredients and portions. So, homemade cream of mushroom soup using keto-approved ingredients is the best option for those on the ketogenic diet.
It's also worth noting that when eating out, cream of mushroom soup may have hidden sugars or thickeners that you don't know about. It's always a good idea to ask the server or check the nutritional information before ordering.
If you'd like to learn more about keto friendly foods, please click on one of the links below!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I eat Cream of Mushroom soup on Keto?
Yes, you can eat cream of mushroom soup on a keto diet as long as it is made with low-carb ingredients and does not contain high-carb ingredients.
Can I make my Cream of Mushroom Soup for a Keto Diet?
Yes, you can make your cream of mushroom soup for a keto diet by using high-fat and low-carb ingredients such as mushrooms, heavy cream, and chicken or beef broth. You can also use a keto-friendly thickener, such as coconut flour, to make the soup creamy.
Is there any keto-friendly Cream of Mushroom soup brand?
Yes, many keto-friendly cream of mushroom soup brands are available in the market. Some popular brands include Progresso Light, HealthSmart High Protein Cream of Mushroom Soup, and Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom Soup.