Following a keto diet is no easy gig; if you are on one, you would undoubtedly agree. Apart from the arduous task of staying away from those delicious carbs, following a keto diet poses the constant dilemma of which foods and ingredients would disturb your beloved ketosis and should therefore be avoided, and which ones are safe to consume.
Amongst various, one common question revolves around sesame seeds: are sesame seeds keto? If you have a similar query, you are at the right place, as this article aims at dissecting sesame seeds and finding the oily secrets that lie within.
Let's get started! Keep reading to find out more about are sesame seeds keto?
What Are Sesame Seeds?
Sesame seeds are highly oil-containing, come in various colors – including white, black, brown, red, and tan – and have a nutty flavor. These seeds bestow a subtle crunchy texture to the dishes they are added to and stand out in the flavor section despite their tiny size.
Apart from being a typical sprinkler on salads and stir-fry, they are known to enrich the flavor of dips, dressings, and sauces with their distinct flavor.
Since they are seeds, they are present inside a sesame flower fruit. Sesame flower plants possess oblong pods with distinctive ridges that house the tiny oval-shaped seeds inside, measuring about ⅛ of an inch.
Removing the seeds from a sesame plant is a relatively easy task, as all you need to do is dry the sesame fruit to open its mouth and shake the tiny seeds free from their engaging covering.
Sesame seeds possess various health benefits and thus are pretty popular amongst weight and health-conscious individuals. They have been a necessary part of folk medicine for several hundred years and are used regularly in the present age to treat arthritis pain, high cholesterol, and increased blood sugar.
In addition, sesame seeds also contain certain unique substances that produce fat-dissolving enzymes in the body, which is a testament to their augmenting popularity in the keto world.
Nutrition Table For Sesame Seeds
Before determining are sesame seeds keto? It's important to assess the overall nutritional profile.
Sesame seeds contain a surplus amount of healthy fats, making them a nutrient-rich whole food with about 9.14 grams net carbs and 26.04 grams carbs. Let us look at the nutritional value of a standard serving size of sesame seeds: about one tablespoon, or 9 grams.
|Total Fat||4.5 grams|
|Saturated Fat||0.6 grams|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 grams|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.7 grams|
|Total Carbohydrate||2.1 grams|
|Dietary Fibre||1.1 grams|
Are Sesame Seeds Keto Friendly?
Sesame seeds are keto friendly as they have a low carb count, high protein concentration, and many healthy fats. All of this combined equals to a great ingredient for bagels, salads, sandwiches, and much more for those on a keto diet!
However, it is crucial to limit the intake as no matter how tiny and healthy, an excess of everything is detrimental! Since sesame seeds are high in net carbs – they contain about 9.14 grams of net carbs per 100 grams servings – you should limit your everyday net carb consumption to 20 grams to 30 grams to leave your ketosis undisturbed.
Health Benefits Of Sesame Seeds
- Nutrient-rich – contains vitamin E and several plan compounds
- High fiber ratio – 30g of sesame seeds covers 12% of the recommended daily dose of fiber
- Decreases the number of triglycerides and cholesterol – contains cholesterol-improving compounds such as phytosterols and lignans
- Rich in plant-based proteins – supplies 5 grams of protein every 30-gram serving (about three tablespoons of sesame seeds)
- Equalizes blood pressure – contains substantial quantities of magnesium, which reduce the risk of stroke and cardiovascular disorders
- Balances blood glucose levels – sesame seeds are high in protein but low in carbs
- Strengthens bones – contains adequate amounts of calcium
- Performs anti-inflammatory action – contains sesamin, a compound that relieves joint pain in arthritis
- Aids cell formation – contains surplus amounts of vitamin B6, copper, and iron
How Can I Use Sesame Seeds In My Keto Diet?
You can incorporate sesame seeds into your keto diet in a few easy, healthy, and yummy ways! Let's look at some of them:
- Sprinkled sesame seeds over stir-fry dishes
- Sesame seeds piled on top of steamed broccoli
- Sesame seeds infused Greek yogurt
- Nutty flavored smoothies topped with sesame seeds
- Sesame seeds tossed over top salads
- Ground sesame seeds bestowing flavor to homemade salad dressing
- Hummus topped with generous amounts of sesame seeds
- A to-go garnish for almost all your dishes
- Sesame oil painfully extracted from sesame seeds as an alternative to cooking oil
- Sauces and dressings suffused with sesame oil
If you wish to know more about the keto meals you can make with sesame seeds, allow me to share my favorite keto sesame chicken recipe!
You will need the following ingredients for this dish:
|Boneless Chicken Thighs||2 pounds|
|Sesame Oil||2 tablespoons|
|Fresh And Nicely Chopped Low Carb Vegetables Like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peppers, And Onions||As per requirement|
|Roasted Sesame Seeds||Two tablespoons|
|Green Onion||To garnish|
|Chicken Broth||Half a cup|
|Apple Cider Vinegar||1 tablespoon|
|Garlic Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Smoked Paprika||1 teaspoon|
|Chili Flakes||1 teaspoon|
|Sugar Free Sweetener Of Your Choice||1 teaspoon|
|Ginger And Garlic, Freshly Minced||As per requirement and taste|
|Black Pepper, Freshly Ground||To taste|
|Pink Himalayan Sea Salt||To taste|
Instructions For Keto Sesame Chicken
- Apply generous amounts of seasoning (salt and pepper) to your chicken and put it aside. We will get back to it later!
- Put in the dry seasoning spice mentioned in the ingredients list in a mixture of sesame oil and broth and stir everything together. Use all your might!
- Add the chicken we set aside earlier to the mixture you just prepared.
- Pour some sesame oil into a frying pan or whichever pan you require. Ensure that it is hot before searing the marinated chicken on it.
- Take the chicken out once it is cooked on both sides, and add some more sesame oil to the pan. Add in nicely chopped and diced vegetables of your choice: I suggest using peppers and broccoli!
- Fry the vegetables on high heat for about four minutes or until they showcase a crispy and tender hue.
- Put the remaining leftover sauce into the vegetables and add the cooked chicken.
- Stir for a few minutes and take everything out on a plate.
- Here comes the fun step! Sprinkle a standard helping of sesame seeds and finely chopped green onion on top of your masterpiece, and serve with a homemade salad or soft bed of cauliflowers!
Now that you have read this article, make sure you put a container of sesame seeds into your cart when you go keto shopping!
I will leave you with one final interesting fact: you can press the flowers of sesame seeds for some sweet-smelling perfume!
Versatility at its peak indeed!
How about getting a sesame seed plant, and then coming back for more tips?
Click on one of the links below to learn about more keto friendly foods: